Home Energy Assessments
Rising Home Energy Costs? Cold and Drafty House?
Determine the Problems with your Home……
Get Solutions from REAL’s Independent Home Energy Efficiency Expert
- Where is your home actually losing energy?
- What can you do to most effectively reduce energy costs?
- Why is it better to hire an independent expert to advise you rather than someone who wishes to sell you something?
We have answers and would like the opportunity to help you make your home as healthy, comfortable and inexpensive to live in as possible.
Our Certified Energy Advisor, Alan Leonard, has over 30 years experience in construction and renovation, and 12 years experience in home energy auditing and weatherization. He is knowledgeable, thorough and conscientious, and want the best for you and our natural environment.
Our mandate is to promote REAL environmental change in our community and making your house more energy efficient benefits us all.
Enbridge Home Energy Conservation Program. Through this program homeowners can receive an incentive of up to $1600 for specific home energy upgrades. You will need to have a home energy audit, do at least two of the suggested upgrades, and have a post energy audit by the same REA to prove you have achieved at least minimum 15% annual fuel savings. REAL is an approved service organization for this program. See more. See the Enbridge brochure.
Below are the services we offer. We are happy to discuss your home and how we can best help you in your specific situation. We will not sell you a service you don’t need and will always give you the best value for your hard-earned money.
If you are a builder of new housing, REAL is now offering consulting services for builders in partnership with Hearthmakers Energy Cooperative based in Kingston. Read about Energy Star and Home Energy Audits.
- Full Home Energy Audit — 2-3+ hours onsite
- Walk-through Blower Door/Air leakage Test –1 hour onsite
- Walk-through Infrared Thermography during Energy Audit — 30 minutes
- Full Infrared Thermography Assessment and Report –2-3 hours onsite
All fees tax-free! Very large or complicated houses may require an additional fee for all services listed.
About our Certified Energy Auditor. Alan Leonard, has over 30 years experience in construction and renovation, and 12 years experience in home energy auditing. He is knowledgeable, thorough and conscientious and wants the best for you and our natural environment. Alan has extensive education and training in building science and construction and is always striving to expand his knowledge further with additional courses and research. He is an ASNT Level 1 Infrared Thermographer.
To arrange an appointment, leave a message at (613) 283-9500 or use our contact form.
- Collect detailed information of house characteristics from basement to attic
- Assess levels of insulation
- Advise on lowering electricity use
- Determine status of heating and A/C equipment
- Assess low or high humidity, condensation and ventilation issues
- Advise on ventilation and heat distribution
- Conduct Blower Door Test with air leakage investigation of house and advise on effective draftproofing and methods and materials
- Discuss my preliminary findings and recommendations onsite
- You also get a comprehensive written report, prepared and mailed or emailed within the week, including:
- Analysis of heat loss/gain, computer simulation model of building energy use
- Specific recommendations in order of priority for your house for efficiency improvements
- Expert and independent advice on how to increase the efficiency, comfort and durability of your home
- Recommendations that will get you the best return on your investment
- Information about grants, rebates, incentives
- Energuide for Houses efficiency rating label
- 1 year follow-up phone or email consultation with auditor
- Investigate house with you to determine exactly where air leakage and heat loss is occurring and to find potential moisture damage to structure/insulation
- Advise on the most effective ways to draft proof your home and which materials and methods to use
- Verify air sealing work done by contractors and perform quality control on construction, do pre-drywall air tightness testing so that any deficiencies can be solved inexpensively and with minimal disruption of project
- Non-destructive way to determine insulation deficiencies behind walls, floors and ceilings
- Find air infiltration behind a finished surface or where the leaky area is out of reach and that can’t be perceived with the blower door alone
- Discover moisture intrusion and plumbing leaks in structure
Full Infrared Thermography Assessment and Report –2-3 hours onsite $495 Outdoor and indoor infrared camera images of building
- Non-destructive way to determine thermal irregularities and deficiencies in structure such as missing or degraded insulation, air leakage behind finished surfaces and moisture issues in structure
- Conducted with blower door to accentuate the cooling or heating effect of air leakage in conditioned space of house as well as in floor, wall and ceiling cavities
- Discussion of infrared camera images and findings onsite
- Infrared photographic record of your home
- Written report with my findings and recommendations including infrared photos
- Particularly beneficial for houses which have experienced many varied renovations and/or additions and as quality control for new houses or additions
There must be a temperature difference of about 5.5 degrees C or 10 degrees F from inside to the outside to get good thermal images. This may mean that on some occasions IR thermography is not possible. With heating or air conditioning it is often possible to overcome this limitation.