Changes to Home Energy Programs
The federal Greener Homes program and Enbridge’s HER program have been combined into the Home Efficiency Rebate Plus (HER+) program.
Grants of up to $5,600 are available to help homeowners make energy efficiency retrofits to their homes. Pre and post energy retrofit evaluations, such as those REAL offers, will be a requirement of grant eligibility. Enbridge customers can access an additional $5,000 in incentive grants.
More About Assessments
REAL has a Registered Energy Advisor (REA) to do home energy assessments in the K7A, K7C, K7H and K0G postal code regions. You may choose to have a home energy assessment done even if you do not want to apply for the incentives, but due to the high demand, there may be a delay.
Home Energy Assessments
- wanting to reduce your home’s carbon footprint?
- experiencing home performance problems?
- paying too much to heat or cool your home?
- replacing a furnace or windows?
Get a Home Energy Evaluation REAL’s Independent Home Energy Efficiency Experts
- Find out where your home is actually losing energy
- Learn what can you do to most effectively reduce your energy costs
- Solve problems with comfort, indoor air quality and house efficiency and durability issues
Improving the energy performance of your home will:
- Increase the comfort of your home
- Save money on heating and cooling bills
- Increase home value
- Take climate action by reducing your greenhouse gas emissions.
Why is it better to hire an independent expert to advise you rather than someone who wishes to sell you something?
We have no conflict of interest and would like the opportunity to help you make your home as healthy, comfortable and inexpensive to live in as possible. We provide unbiased solutions that are founded on building science and testing and an expert assessment of what is really needed to make you home more efficient. We diagnose problems based on the actual conditions in your home and our extensive experience solving all sorts of issues in houses dating from the 1800’s to the present.
Our mandate is to promote REAL environmental change in our community and making your house more energy efficient benefits us all.
Think Globally, Act Residentially
You will receive a comprehensive 20+ page printed Energuide for Houses report that includes: a Renovation Upgrade Report, a Homeowner Information report, an EnerGuide efficiency rating label, and an air leakage checklist (not included here).
Click here If you are would like information on the Home Energy Efficiency Rebate Program (HER+), which offers up to $10,600 in incentives to Enbridge natural gas customers who perform home energy upgrades. Canadian home owners who are do not heat with natural gas are eligible for up to $5,600. In both cases, the $600 is a rebate on the cost of the energy evaluation.
The assessments described below are standalone, and can be also be used if you do not qualify for incentive grants but want to know how to make your house more efficient and deal with comfort or other issues with your home.
To arrange an appointment, contact Alan Leonard at [email protected] or (613) 864-3099.
If you had a “D” audit with John Appleby, he is available to do your “E” or post-audit, but is not taking new clients. You can reach him at (613) 784-9320 or [email protected].
Below are the services we offer. We are happy to discuss your home and how we can best help you in your specific situation. We will not sell you a service you don’t need and will always give you the best value for your money.
- Full Home Energy Audit — 3+ hours onsite
- Post Renovation Energy Audit with updated EnerGuide rating label –
1+ hours onsite
All fees tax-free! Very large or complicated houses may require an additional fee.
Full Home Energy Audit – 2-3+ hours onsite $450, large or complicated houses may have an additional fee.
- Collect detailed information of house characteristics that affect energy use from basement to attic
- Assess levels of insulation
- Advise on lowering electricity use
- Determine efficiency of heating and A/C equipment
- Assess low or high humidity, condensation and ventilation issues
- Advise on ventilation and heat distribution
- Conduct Blower Door Test with air leakage investigation of house and advise on effective draftproofing and methods and materials
- Discuss my preliminary findings and recommendations onsite
- You also get a comprehensive written report, prepared and mailed or emailed within the week, including:
- Analysis of heat loss/gain, computer simulation model of building energy use
- Specific recommendations in order of priority for your house for efficiency improvements
- Expert and independent advice on how to increase the efficiency, comfort and durability of your home
- Recommendations that will get you the best return on your investment
- Information about grants, rebates, incentives
- EnerGuide for Houses efficiency rating label
- 1 year follow-up phone or email consultation with auditor
After completion of upgrades and renovations to your home we can return to assess the changes made and update the energy efficiency rating of the house. We will do another blower door/air leakage test, record all changes and update the performance model of the house. A new EnerGuide energy efficiency rating label will be issued which can be valuable if you wish to sell the house and prove the change in its efficiency. EnerGuide is a program run by Natural Resources Canada that provides independent, unbiased and official energy efficiency ratings that are recognized across Canada.
Many incentive grant programs including Greener Homes and the Enbridge Home Energy Conservation Program require that you have an initial and post renovation audit to qualify for grants.