Pitch-In Smiths Falls is an annual community litter cleanup that happens as part of Pitch In Canada, a nation-wide cleanup event. We have identified some shoreline locations that need some work, also. Please contact us if you would feel comfortable doing one of those sites.
Due to the Ontario Stay-at-Home order, the 2021 Smiths Falls campaign has been advanced to :
Sat. May 8 – Sat. May 22
Yellow Pitch-In bags are available at the REAL Deal store. Normal store hours are Wednesday through Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you want bags before the end of the lock-down period, please call the store (613) 283-7999 and make arrangements to pick them up some Wednesday or Friday, 10 – 2, or have some left outside for you.
Clean up litter anytime within the two week period that works for you!See a Poster
- We will not be calling any past participants this year.
- Please contact Jake Wilson for more details.
- You can also leave a message at The REAL Deal Store, (613) 283-7999, during or after store hours.
- If you need help finding a location to clean up, let us know.
- If you are from outside our town limits, check with your municipality to see if they are participating in Pitch-In this year.
- Individuals often choose to clean up around their neighbourhood.
- Town staff will be collected filled Pitch In bags from the roadside.
- If your filled bags are not picked up within two days, please call us with their location so we can let the town know to pick them up.
- Please let us know how you did!
Need some suggestions? Here is a list of potential Smiths Falls sites.
See our 2021 instructions and safety tips. A copy of this will be provided with your Pitch In bags.
NEW! See these COVID Safety Tips.
Use this Pitch In Completion Form to tell us how you did!
Some 2013 photos are on REAL’s Facebook page.
Pitch-in Smiths Falls is a community wide litter cleanup coordinated by REAL. Public and highly visible sites, such as parks, and road allowances, are identified by REAL and groups or individuals assigned to clean that site. Garbage bags, other supplies and safety instructions are provided. REAL records the number of participants and the number of bags of recyclable and other garbage collected for comparison from year to year.
REAL is working with the Town of Smiths Falls and others to find other measures that will reduce our litter problem.
2019 will be the nineteenth year for this community wide effort, although REAL has participated in spring cleanups and encouraged other residents to do so since 1989 through Pitch-in Canada, a national organization founded in British Columbia.
See Pitch-In Canada site.