Pitch In April 15 – 29, 2023 and
Shoreline Cleanup Sat. Apr. 29, 2023
Thanks to all the Smiths Falls residents who participated in this year’s Pitch In Smiths Falls and Shoreline Cleanups. You really made a difference! Results are summarized in these two reports, where there are some photos as well.
Shoreline Cleanup Pitch In Smiths Falls
Congratulations to the winners of our contests. Gift baskets went to Community Living Smiths Falls, the Smiths Falls Scouts and Heather McFayden. A and a $10 REAL Deal gift certificate went to Ellie Micol.
We hope to see you all again next year!
Pitch-In Smiths Falls is an annual community litter cleanup that happens as part of Pitch In Canada, a nation-wide cleanup event. We encourage individuals and groups to commit to cleaning up a particular site during the two week period. See below for how to get your supplies!
We are incorporating a shoreline cleanup, led by Jake Wilson, on Saturday, April 29. Meet Jake at either the Bascule Bridge parking lot off of Abbott St. at 10 a.m., or the Jasper Road boat launch near Eric Hutcheson Road at 1 p.m. Please sign up with Jake at [email protected]. We have other nearby sites in mind if we have sufficient volunteers. We’ll bring the bags!
Pitch in Photo Contest
Submit a photo from your Pitch In cleanup for a chance to win a prize from the REAL Deal store!
Email your photo to [email protected], or message REAL on Facebook with your photo. If you will be posting your photo on social media, please use the hashtag #PitchInSF.
- Interesting finds from your cleanup
- The bags you have filled, perhaps with yourself or your group displaying them (please ensure that you have permission from individuals in the photo)
- Before and After shots of your cleanup site
With your permission, we would love to share the winning photos on our website, social media and possibly within future REAL publications.
Deadline: May 7th, 2023
Do you have kids in your group?
We have a response form and bingo card young people may enjoy completing. Prizes will be awarded!Response Form and Bingo Card
How to Participate in Pitch In
- We will be attempting to contact past participants, but please get in touch if we haven’t reached you. Use the email address [email protected].
- You can also leave a message at The REAL Deal Store, (613) 283-7999, during or after store hours.
- If you need help finding a location to clean up, let us know.
- Supplies will be available at the REAL Deal Store beginning Wed. Apr. 5, 2022. Store hours are Wednesdays through Saturdays 10 am – 5 pm. (Note that the store will not be open Good Friday, April 7, 2023.)
- You will be asked to record your name or group on a list so we have an idea of who is participating.
- If you know where you would like to clean up, please indicate on that list.
Where to Clean Up
- Individuals often choose to clean up around their neighbourhood.
- A number of sites are being “reserved” for groups that need to plan their cleanup day ahead. Please try to avoid those sites.
- We recommend that you check your site the night before or earlier in the day to make sure it still needs picking up. We cannot control where other people choose to pick up litter.!
- If you are from outside of Smiths Falls, check with your municipality to see if they are participating in Pitch-In. In 2023 Rideau Lakes, Drummond-North Elmsley and Montague townships are all making Pitch In bags available to their residents, and will accept filled Pitch In bags without a garbage tag free of charge. Leave them out on your regular waste collection day, or to the landfill site if you normally take your household garbage there.
After the Cleanup
- Town staff will be collecting filled Pitch In bags from the roadside.
- If your filled bags are not picked up within two days, please call us with their location so we can let the town know to pick them up.
- Please let us know how you did on the response form!
Need some suggestions? Here is a list of potential Smiths Falls sites 2023. See a map with approximate locations mapped.
People and groups have already committed to doing these sites in 2022. (Last Update: April 24)
See our 2023 instructions and safety tips. A copy of this will be provided with your Pitch In bags.
Use this online Pitch In Completion Form to tell us how you did!
Read the Shoreline Cleanup 2022 Report.
Read a story in the Smiths Falls Record News by Melissa Novakaska: Coffee Cups, masks, and pop cans among items found during Smiths Falls Shoreline Cleanup , May 1, 2022
A story by Desmond Devoy: Not Getting the Message: How Difficult is it not to Litter? in Inside Ottawa Valley, April 8, 2022
Pitch-in Smiths Falls is a community wide litter cleanup coordinated by REAL. Public and highly visible sites, such as parks, and road allowances, are identified by REAL and groups or individuals assigned to clean that site. Garbage bags, other supplies and safety instructions are provided. REAL records the number of participants and the number of bags of recyclable and other garbage collected for comparison from year to year.
REAL is working with the Town of Smiths Falls and others to find other measures that will reduce our litter problem.
REAL has been participating in spring cleanups since 1989 and has organized a community wide effort since the early 2000s. Pitch-in Canada is a national organization founded in British Columbia 55 years ago.
See Pitch-In Canada site.