You May be Eligible for up to $5000 in Grants
For home energy upgrades
plus $600 for the necessary Home Energy Evaluations
This new federal program was officially announced May 27, 2021.
Availability of Audits Through REAL
As of June 1, REAL has backlog of several months because of the rescheduling from COVID lockdowns and increased demand through this new program. Unfortunately, we cannot make any more appointments at this time. You may wish to contact another service organization that may have the capacity to get to you sooner. You can try these Green Communities Canada members: Envirocentre in Ottawa or Red Squirrel Conservation Services in Kingston, or another organization that services your area.
- Up to 700,000 grants of up to $5,000 to help homeowners make energy efficient retrofits to their homes, such as better insulation
- EnerGuide evaluations (worth up to $600) and expert advice to homeowners so they can begin to plan their retrofits
- Recruitment and training of EnerGuide energy advisors to meet the increased demand
- Register with the program online.
- Have an EnerGuide Home Energy Evaluation by a Registered Energy Advisor.
- Complete at least one retrofit that is both eligible and recommended by your energy advisor in their report, and keep your receipts!
- Have a post renovation EnerGuide Home Energy Evaluation by a Registered Energy Advisor.
- Apply for reimbursement for the renovations and home energy evaluations.
To be eligible for the grants or to book an evaluation through the program you must register online through the Greener Homes Portal.
Note that you will need to provide:
- Your property tax bill number to prove ownership
- A scan of a piece of ID showing proof of residence (such a drivers licence)
If you do not use a computer, there is a telephone option. Call 1-833-674-8282 (TTY: 1 800-465-7735)
Arranging an Evaluation:
Once registered, you will be asked to select a service organization. For now, you must select Green Communities Canada, an umbrella organization of environmental non-profits that REAL belongs to. Eventually you will be able to select specifically the Rideau Environmental Action League (REAL).
See the note a the top of this page re availability.
Some Media References:
How to make the most of that new, federal, ‘green’ home retrofit grant, David Thurnton, CBC News, June 4, 2021.
Northern Ontarians might have to wait to cash in on federal home energy retrofit program, CBC North, May 28, 2021. Jonathan Pinto interview with Kai Millyard of Green Communities Canada.