REAL came about after a gathering held October 31, 1989. So 2019 marks 30 years of REAL activities in our community. REAL is making plans to celebrate all year long. Check this page often for new developments. We are starting with a meeting January 10th to brainstorm possibilities.
Here is a quick rundown on what we did in previous anniversary years.
10th Anniversary (1999):
- We did a special 10th anniversary supplement to the newsletter.
- Planted an oak tree on Evergreen Avenue.
- REAL provided a letter and photos to go in the time capsule buried at the site of the (then) new high school in September.
- Special banner on newsletter “Celebrating 20 Years of Environmental Achievement”
- Same banner on website
- Wine and cheese media event in spring at Rideau Canal Museum
- Birthday cake and musical presentation at park during Chocolate and RR Festival
- First local foods dinner Oct. at Lombardy Hall, catered by Kieth Drummond
- Coincidentally that year REAL made the list of top ten finalists for Earth Day Canada’ Hometown Heroes award
- .25 cent fall yard sale at REAL Deal store
- Stone placed on Evergreen Avenue with inscription “REAL 20 Years 2009”
- Special newsletter banner “25 Years of Environmental Action”
- Used same catchphrase on website banner
- First set of 10 $250 REAL Action Grants
- Promotional video by Arranel Studios
- free screening of “Watermark” documentary
30th Anniversary (2019)
- Send your ideas to [email protected].